Congratulations to our 2016 PEMS Regional EMS Award Winners!
Peninsulas EMS Council, Inc., held its 3rd Annual "Celebrate EMS" Day at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, VA on May 28, 2016. This family friendly event allowed EMS providers to spend some well-deserved time with their friends and family at the local amusement park.
Following the picnic luncheon, we recognized our 2016 PEMS Regional EMS Award recipients at a formal ceremony. Assisting us in presenting this year were Gary Brown, Director of the Virginia Department of Health Office of Emergency Medical Services, Dr. Cheryl Lawson, MD, Regional Medical Director, and David Barrick, Asst. Chief (Ret.), Vice President, Peninsulas EMS Council, Inc.
All nominees received a certificate suitable for framing and the winners received their award, wrapped in a velvet bag. The awards were presented at 2:00 p.m. in the Black Forest picnic area after a wonderful meal and a visit from Elmo and Abby Cadabby for all kids and kids at heart.
Recipients of this year’s regional awards become the Council's nominations for the 2016 Governor’s EMS Awards, which will be announced at the Virginia EMS Symposium’s Annual Awards Ceremony, November 12, 2016, in Norfolk, Va. This is a high honor for Virginia providers where they will be recognized in front of more than 2,000 of their peers.
Please join us in congratulting our 2016 Peninsulas EMS Council Regional EMS Award Recipients:
- Excellence in EMS – Thomas J. Beasley, Westmoreland County Emergency Services
- Physician with Outstanding Contribution to EMS – Lisa M. Dodd, DO, Riverside Tappahannock Hospital, Northumberland Department of Emergency Services
- Outstanding EMS Telecommunications Dispatcher – Ashley Cunningham, York-Poquoson-Williamsburg Emergency Communications Center
- Outstanding Pre-Hospital Educator – William Ken Carter, Newport News Fire Department
- Outstanding Pre-Hospital Provider – Bradley S. Beam, Williamsburg Fire Department
- Outstanding EMS Agency – Medical Transport, LLC
- Outstanding EMS Administrator – Phil Shahan, Jr., Mid-County Volunteer Rescue Squad
- Outstanding Contribution to EMS by a High School Senior ($1,000 Scholarship Included) – Hannah R. Craig, Home Schooled
- Nurse with Outstanding Contribution to EMS – Shanon Beam, RN, LifeEvac 3
- Outstanding Contribution to EMS Health and Safety – Katherine West, RN, Infection Control-Emerging Concepts, Inc
- Outstanding Contribution to EMS for Children – Hampton Division of Fire and Rescue
- Outstanding Contribution to EMS Preparedness and Response – Stephen P. Kopczynski, York County Department of Fire and Life Safety
- Call of the Year – Hampton Division of Fire and Rescue, Hampton Police Department
- Special Recognition – Regional EMS Service – Curtis Mason, Sr., Mattaponi Rescue Squad
- Special Recognition – Lifetime EMS Achievement and Service – J. David Barrick, Assistant Fire Chief – EMS Operations, Newport News Fire Department
- Special Recognition – PEMS Website– Paul Hoyle, Peninsulas EMS Council, Inc.
- Regional EMS System Partnership Award –PEMS Council, Inc. 2016 Platinum Partner - Riverside Health System
- Regional EMS System Partnership Award – PEMS Council, Inc. 2016 Gold Partner - Sentara Healthcare
- Regional EMS System Partnership Award – PEMS Council, Inc. 2016 Gold Partner – Bon Secours Hampton Roads Health System
To see photos of our 2016 award winners, click here!